Wednesday, July 24, 2013

#RoyalBaby

All this "Royal Baby" talk is really making me miss London.

When I was studying abroad at the Imperial College of London two summers ago, I would walk the streets of South Kensington in awe of the fact my parents walked the same streets for nine whole years. If you didn't already know, I am a duel citizen. I was born at The Portland Hospital in London, England and called the city of red Double-Decker buses "home" for four years. My parents and sister, however, spent almost a decade as residents of the UK. I have pictures of my itty bitty self in castles I can't remember, not as a tourist but as a guest! I would love to live four years in London while I now have a hold on my memory. If anyone needs an accounting recruiter with an American/Texan accent in your British office, I'm your girl!

I barely have any memories of my original time in London. I have one memory of scraping my knees at a playground, then visiting my sister at the American School in London during her lunch hour and having her blow on my cuts and bruises to make the pain go away. I can also picture the inside of our flat with the booger-green bathtub, but I'm not quite sure if I am replacing photographs and home videos with my memory.



 My first home!!! ^^^


I have been incredibly lucky to visit to my homeland a hand-full of times since my family returned to the states in 1995. Obviously my time with Baylor in Great Britain is my most memorable trip because of the duration of our stay and all the activities 19 and 20-year-olds schedule while in European countries. ;)





I can picture living in London at some point in my life. Mostly while I'm still young or my non-existent children are young as well. I think the city is incredibly romantic. I love grey skies and damp rain jackets. I love the busyness of the tube station, or traveling on a train with 100 strangers and letting your imagination run wild as to why they want to get away. I love walking everywhere and having no reason to own a car. The castles, buildings, landscapes, and gardens all have such history to them. The evenings are romantic as well. All of the sparking lights that hit your eyes when you get off at Piccadilly Circus. The Broadway shows for entertainment, the little houses in Notting Hill, the black taxi cabs waiting outside of pubs to take stragglers home. I love it all.


Obviously I immediately text my mom as I'm dreaming of Big Ben, Phantom of the Opera, and Buckingham Palace.




I hope she is serious. I'm dying over here.


"There's nowhere else like London. Nothing at all, anywhere."
Vivienne Westwood

No comments:

Post a Comment