Thursday, September 12, 2013

Fall.

The busyness of fall has officially begun.

I always thought the fall semester was the more hectic of semesters in college. When I wasn't in class, I was needed at float, pigskin practice, Kappa meetings, Kappa Sig meetings, Chapter Council, intramural games, football games, tailgates, etc. So many fun things happen all at once in the fall. Post grad life has proven to be no different.

Football is still going on, but more games are seen through a television now. Saturday mornings are occupied with your typical "Dallas brunch" instead of tailgating. Working extra hours during "fall busy season" at work has shortened my evenings, no longer making it possible to workout after work. If I want to squeeze a workout in, my alarm must go off at 5:45AM. Luckily, moments like this are captured at stoplights when you are chasing the sun.



Fall recruitment is picking up, and so will the mileage on my car. I will be attending career fairs at Texas A&M, Baylor, Trinity, Mary Hardin-Baylor, UT-Dallas, and University of North Texas. A few of those events require a 1 to 2 nights stay in a hotel, which I'm really excited about! I can't wait to spread out in a King-sized bed, watch late-night TV, use the community treadmill, and get ice down the hall!

From now on, every Monday after work will be spent hanging out with freshman girls in high school. Tanner and I decided to be YoungLife leaders this year, and we will get the chance to see these fourteen year olds grow up to be graduates, all the while pursuing the Lord. Being a leader for YoungLife has already proven to be challenging, but I can't wait to see what will unfold before me through a group of teenage girls. Signing up to be a leader was a complete leap of faith. I have never done anything like this before. I have already learned to depend on prayer, and the first club hasn't even started yet. Not only will I attend club on Mondays, I'll be back under the Friday night lights for JJ Pearce's home football games, and hanging out with the girls outside of school activities. I'm feeling nervous, excited, anxious, and... twenty-two.

I am hoping that one thing in my schedule stays the same from this summer. Every Tuesday starting at 7PM, a group of my friends and I would attend The Porch at Watermark church. "The Porch is a community of young adults in their 20s and 30s who come together each Tuesday evening to praise God, study His Word, and go out to impact the world around us throughout the week." I have truly looked forward to Tuesday nights since I moved to Dallas. What JP and the rest of the young adults team discuss in that hour and a half is so applicable to my life, every single week. Your 20s and 30s are filled with huge life changes, and The Porch does such a great job of tying work, dating, marriage, church membership, and everything else you face as a young adult back to Jesus and His word.

One huge thing I am looking forward to this fall is Baylor Homecoming as an alumni. Gosh, if you have never been to a Baylor Homecoming then I just feel sorry for you. It's the same caliber to me as Disney Land. I can't wait to see my friends performing on stage at PigSkin, drink out of red solo cups at the tailgate, and actually enjoy the Homecoming parade without having to pull all-nighters out at a very scary and abandoned float site.


In college, I couldn't believe I let myself think I was actually busy in high school. Now, I can't believe I actually let myself think I was busy in college. In ten years from now... I really hope I'm a mom that drops her kid off at school then goes shopping all day, but the truth is, I'll probably be telling my self, "How did I ever let myself think I was busy at 22?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment