Monday, December 16, 2013

Holiday Traffic.

Man, nothing will turn you into a scrooge faster than sitting in two hours worth of traffic...

Traffic that has nothing to do with accidents or construction. No reason. Just cars. Lots and lots of cars.

On Thursday night, I left straight from my office at 5 o'clock to head to Prestonwood Baptist Church for their annual Christmas Festival and to meet up with Tanner's family. They were going to have dinner an hour before the show, which started at 7PM. The plan was to leave work on time in order to meet the Cobbs for dinner. Ten minutes into crawling on the highway, I jokingly told Tanner, "Hope I make it in time for the show!" This was a very sarcastic comment because the church was less than 20 miles away from my place of work. Surely I did not need 120 minutes to travel 20 miles.

Low and behold, at 6:58PM, I was sprinting in my work heels through Prestonwood's parking lot to make it inside before they shut the doors to start the show. I had completely missed dinner.

Thankfully, Tanner saved me a roll that I stuffed into my purse to hide from the Prestonwood ushers. Bah Humbug! Nothing like an empty stomach to accompany the side effects of highway congestion.

Luckily, the Christmas show was absolutely amazing. Prestonwood had brought in live camels, donkeys, acrobats, and flying things: like angels, drummer boys, Rudolf, and Santa's sleigh. It was a huge production that put me back in the Christmas spirit.

Fast-forward to Saturday at Northpark Mall. Tanner and I had not accomplished any Christmas shopping for our families, and we chose to shop on Saturday afternoon in the middle of December in Dallas, Texas. Ho Ho Hopeless. On our way to the Macy's parking lot, we witnessed people leaving their cars in the grass in order to make it inside the mall. We circled. And we circled. We stalked families walking to their cars, but every single time a different car had beat us to a spot. After thirty minutes and a few prayers, we finally got a parking spot! We spent a combined total of six hours at Northpark, Toys R Us, and Best Buy, but we marked off every name on our list. Strategically, Total Wine & Spirits is located next door to Toys R Us so Tanner and I purchased some spiked eggnog and drive-tru In-N-Out Burger to end the night. Both were well deserved.


Tanner and I had carried over the amount of fun we had on Friday night in order to survive our Saturday afternoon. On Friday, we drove to the Gaylord Texan Resort to look at the ICE sculpture exhibit they put on every year. Two years ago, we had visited the ice sculptures on our very first Kappa Sig Take-A-Date together. It was fun to revisit the resort and even the same restaurant we ate at as juniors in college. The memories made me miss our friends, especially when we needed our picture taken (ha!), but it was fun to go back just the two of us. How people have the patience to sculpt ice until it's silky smooth is beyond me. I'm  positive it took them longer than my drive to Prestonwood. But a little word to the wise if you plan on visiting ICE!: Walk slow and bring warm gloves for your hands!







No comments:

Post a Comment